Sunday, January 20, 2013

Lightning on the cheap

Normally I write off LED lights as a necessary evil.  Something a gaffer would feel forced to use for a fast pace drama or reality tv show.  They are a light source everybody hates and everybody uses.  I'm talking about you LitePanels! With your green shift and multiple shadows.  If I do find myself having to use a 1x1 LitePanel, I always make sure there is a chimera in front of it.

Today I got a chance to check out two new LED lights by AAdynTech (ECO Punch and Jab).  Right out of the pelican case and on to the stand I noticed some differences that made me think twice about LED lights.  The construction of the housing was very comparable to that of a 2.5 LTM HMI (strong and durable).  The barn doors were industry standard and the lights came with several different lenses.  When the tech turned the light on it struck up instantly and I was amazed by the output.  These are LED lights you can use outside!


 The Jab, only using 1.7 amps of power, would be perfect for indie feature car rigs.  The light can be powered by a cigarette lighter inverter and has the same output as a 400w joker.  No need for a process trailer if the production can't afford one.  Another thing worth mentioning.  I can't count how many times during driving scenes that we've had to pull over and drop or pull a scrim on a light because of spotty cloud cover.  With a little handheld DMX controller you can ride the brightness level on the light depending on the external environment (Going through a tunnel, under a bridge or through some clouds) allowing the actors to stay in character and giving the director better footage in the edit room.


The Punch, running at 5 amps, is equivalent to a 2.5k HMI.  Once again the light strikes right up.  No more having to wait for the globe to come up to temperature and because of its low heat output you can aim this light straight down (great for condor rigs).  Can't say the same about HMIs. They need to be slightly angled up to allow for heat release.

Now to get to the title of the post.  The punch has a controller with several different functions built into the back of the light.  My favorite function, the one that makes me the happiest as a gaffer, is the randomized lightning strikes.  It has a built in sporadic function that changes the intensity and duration on its own.  Life like lightning for a fraction of the cost!  Next time I gaff a scene with stormy weather I'm putting this green beast on the truck.

Anyway I could go on and on about these fixtures.  I'll just wait till I finally get to use one on set!

No comments:

Post a Comment